There are around 30,000 taxis in Ho Chi Minh City so, if you’re looking for a ride, a cab is never far away. One of the most well-known brands is Vinasun taxi. You can easily spot their white or white, Vinasun-branded cars darting through the city streets or lined up outside the airport when you arrive.
Vinasun also operates out of other cities in Vietnam, such as Da Nang and Hanoi. But it’s not as nearly as common in Hanoi as HCMC.
A Reputable Company
Taxis in Vietnam have, unfortunately, earned a reputation for being less than honest with their customers. In an attempt to increase profits, drivers have been known to demand unfairly high prices or take unnecessarily long routes to boost the meter fare. However, if you need a ride, there’s no need to be discouraged.
Using a reputable company, like Vinasun, is the first step towards getting the right price and reliable service.
In a world of ride-sharing apps like Uber, Grab, Gojek, and Be, taxi companies have been scrambling to keep up. As a result, Vinasun now has its own mobile app that allows you to enjoy the benefits of a ride-hailing app while using traditional registered taxis.
The Vinasun app includes:
- Advance booking
- Easily find the nearest taxi
- Approximate driver arrival time
- Distance and cost estimates prior to pick-up
- Phone the driver | Useful for giving information on how to find you on the crowded streets
Note: Unlike other apps, payments to Vinasun are still made in cash at the end of the journey.
Tips on Getting a Fair Deal
While the app does give you estimates on cost and distance, it is in your best interest to make sure you won’t end up paying higher fees but following a few simple steps:
- Never let the driver pressure you into paying more. A driver might claim that bad traffic, bad weather, or even the day of the week are good reasons to increase the fare. Don’t let them persuade you! Always insist on paying the meter rate.
- Try to pay with small change, instead of with large bills. Drivers may not have or might claim not to have, enough cash to change a hefty bill.
- Use Vinasun’s mobile app to estimate the length of your route beforehand. The app will give you an estimate of the journey times. By mentioning the estimate to the driver before you set off, you can encourage them to take the most direct route.
If you’re looking for a reliable and safe way to get around HCMC, Vinasun is undoubtedly a great choice. Once you’re armed with the app and the tips given above, getting a taxi ride in HCMC can be as easy as anywhere in the world!