If you’re looking for a taxi in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, but you aren’t sure which company to choose, Mai Linh Taxi is one of the biggest names in the business. Established in 1993, Mai Linh has built up a strong track record, and their cars a regular sight on the streets of Saigon.
If you have seen bright green cars with branding stickers among the city’s hectic traffic, these are Mai Linh taxis. Mai Linh taxis can also be hailed in Da Nang and less frequently in the capital, Hanoi.
A Reputable Company
Ask anyone who has spent time in Vietnam about their experiences with taxi companies, and you’re likely to hear mixed reviews at best! Perhaps understandably, cab companies haven’t always enjoyed a good reputation for reliability and honest pricing. But, if you’re armed with the right knowledge, there is no reason you can’t have an enjoyable and stress-free experience.
So, before you resign yourself to hiking everywhere on foot, here are a few tips for hailing a ride in HCMC:
- Choose a reputable company | Companies like Mai Linh and Vinasun have a long track record and can be held to account via their online reviews. Of course, it’s no guarantee, but it’s a great first step.
- Pay the meter rate, and not a penny more | One of the most common customer grievances is drivers who attempt to overcharge them. Never negotiate for higher fares before the journey has started, and always insist that the meter is running.
- Pay with small bills | Drivers don’t always carry a lot of change, so if you pay with a large denomination bill, they might be unable to give you your change in full.
- Download Mai Linh’s mobile app | Like ride-sharing companies, Mai Linh now has an app that enables you to search for drivers and see estimated journey times and prices.
- Verify your driver | Mai Linh drivers always wear a white shirt, black trousers, and a green tie. If they aren’t wearing this uniform, it’s worth double-checking that it’s a genuine Mai Linh cab and not just a green car!
Mai Linh App
The app is available for download on Android and iOS, and supports both Vietnamese and English language. Anyone who has used ride-sharing apps like Uber, Gojek, Be, or Grab will feel at home.
Included in the app:
- Driver locator | View all the nearest drivers and hail a ride from your phone.
- Vehicle tracker | Check on your driver’s progress before and during your journey.
- Calling and messaging platforms | Particularly useful for contacting your driver in crowded areas or when the GPS hasn’t accurately recorded your location.
- Time and cost estimates before you book | It’s a good idea to mention the estimates to your driver when they arrive. This will dissuade them from taking an unnecessarily long route.
Note: Unlike some cashless ride-sharing apps, the fee is still settled in cash at the end of the journey.
If you’re looking for a taxi in HCMC, Mai Linh is undoubtedly one of the best ways to get around. The app is a game-changer and brings what was once an infamously chaotic experience into the 21st century. So if you need to hit the road, just grab the app and start planning your next journey!